Belleville Illinois Injury Attorney

Q. How much time do I have to make an injury claim?

A. It depends. The law is very complicated. If you are injured at work, you have a very short period of time to tell your employer that you have sustained a work injury. If you have been injured in an automobile accident, your claim has to be filed within the time period required by law. Otherwise, your claim is barred by law and you will not be able to recover for your medical expenses or your bodily injuries.
An injured person should consult with an experienced attorney immediately after an injury.

Q: The insurance company or my doctor told me my medical condition is caused by arthritis or is a pre-existing condition and not covered by Workers' Compensation insurance or covered by automobile insurance. Is this true?

A: No. Under Illinois Law, an injury or medical condition is work related or is compensable if the arthritis or pre-existing condition is aggravated by, for example:
a) a work injury;
b) work activities;
c) an automobile accident or other injury.

Q: I was injured in an automobile accident. Should I tell my doctor and hospital to send my medical bills to the insurance company of the driver at fault?

A: No. The insurance company of the driver at fault has no legal obligation to pay your medical bills until the case is settled. This could take many, many months, if not years. It is absolutely in your best interest to submit your medical bills to your health insurance, medicaid or medicare for payment. This simple solution increases the value of your settlement with the insurance company of the driver at fault and ensures that your medical bills will be paid in a timely manner.

Q: I was injured at work. The insurance company has paid all of my medical bills and has paid me my time off work. Am I entitled to a settlement for my injury?

A: Yes. The settlement of a workers' compensation claim or an automobile accident claim is complicated. In a work injury claim the settlement is based upon a complicated formula which takes into consideration your average weekly wage and the nature and extent of your injuries. The insurance company will not reveal the correct method of calculation of your settlement. Rather, the insurance company will offer you the least amount of money that the claims adjuster thinks that you will accept.

Q: I have an injury claim. Do I need an attorney?

A: Yes. The law is very complicated. The claims adjuster for the insurance company works for the insurance company and does not represent your best interests. The claims adjuster has no legal obligation to give you a fair settlement.

Q. Can I be fired for sustaining an injury at work?

A. Under the law, it is unlawful for an employer to discriminate or terminate an employee for the exercise of workers' compensation benefits. It is also unlawful for an employer to refuse to rehire or recall an injured employee back to work who has been injured at work.